Saturday, September 7, 2013

I'll be your huckleberry - the recipe.

After our hike to Graveyard Fields, I was on a search for a good huckleberry muffin recipe.  I came across one on Pinterest... of course, right?!?  There are some talented people out there and I am grateful that they share their secrets so openly! What I liked about this recipe, in particular, is that I already had most ingredients in my cupboard and fridge.  And while I love cooking with buttermilk (a usual in muffins), for a tiny recipe I didn't want to have to buy a whole quart and have most of it go to waste.  I was happy to see this recipe called for regular milk, which I happen to have a gallons of because of Keira!

These muffins turned out amazing!!! Because I made these so late in the day, I'm not ashamed to say that Ryan and I ended up eating a few (each!) in lieu of dinner.  I say eat, but what I really mean is devour.  You start with the perfect streusel top followed by a moist lemony muffin sprinkled with the perfect amount of sweet from the  huckleberries.  YUM!  If you don't have huckleberries, these would work with blueberries, blackberries and maybe even apples.

So, here's what you need to make Wild Mountain Huckleberry Muffins by the Rowdy Baker:



Huckleberries (and a few blackberries) we picked from our hike at Graveyard Fields!


For the Muffins


  • 1 3/4 Cup Flour
  • 1/3 Cup Sugar
  • 2 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Teaspoon Grated Lemon Peel
  • 3/4 Cup Huckleberries 
  • 1 Egg (beaten well)
  • 3/4 Cup Milk
  • 1/3 Oil
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
For the Streusel (yes, yummy streusel!)
  • 1/2 Cup Flour
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
  • 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter (melted)
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Note: The original recipe also includes an icing, but I didn't think the muffins needed it, especially with the streusel.  To find out how to make the icing visit The Rowdy Baker.

Be sure to pre-heat your over to 350 degrees before you start!

Step 1
Mix all the ingredients for the streusel topping & set aside.

Tip: Pack the brown sugar!




Step 2
In a large bow, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder & salt.  Sift twice.

Tip: There have been many times, I've skipped the sifting, mostly because of time, but since this was my first time attempting this recipe, I tried to follow it to the T.  It does make the mix very fine, which probably attributes to the end result in some positive way!



Step 3 
Add lemon zest & the berries to the flour mixture & toss.  

Tip:  It's easier to use a hand held grater rather than this big one.  One day I'll buy one, but until then...



Note: So, I misread the recipe and add all the berries at this point.  The original author, however, held some back and dropped them on top of the muffin before adding the streusel.  I always misread at least one step!



Step 4
In a medium sized bowl, mix the egg, milk (I used whole since I had it.), oil, and vanilla.  Make sure to mix well.

Step 5
Poor the wet mixture into the flour mixture, folding gently just until the dry mixture is evenly moistened.





Step 6
Divide batter evenly among 12 lined muffin cups.  This is the first recipe I've done where it actually made just 12 muffins.  I usually come up short!

Tip: The batter is very thick.  I ended up using one spoon to scoop the batter and another one to push the batter off the spoon into the muffin cup.



Step 7
Gently cover muffins with streusel mixture.



Tip:  The muffin will expand!  Try to keep the streusel more towards the middle of the muffin.  I didn't and some of my outlying streusel got kicked out of the muffins as they grew!

Step 8
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until the toothpick test comes out clean.  The tops of the muffins will be slightly browned.


Step 9
Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes and then enjoy with a glass of milk! 



Check out where the berries came from, in my post titled, "I'll be you Huckelberry!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment